dinsdag 14 december 2010

you know she's so good!

well folks. I was on fire yesterday actually. I got my everything to write another review of an album, BUT sadly I fell asleep. Darn it, even a coffee couldn't stop me! Bah, anyway.. LET'S GO TO THE REHAB!


She is the one and only, undisputed, undoubted, gifted, and troubled. THE Amy Winehouse. North Londoners lady. My favourite crooner of the century. Came from nowhere and then BOOM! 6 Nominations in Grammy Awards 2008! Her maximum contribution on her 2nd album, Back to Black, brought us a huge encounter to our ears, which tells us, THIS IS WHAT WE CALLED REAL QUALITY MUSIC

As we all know, her first album Frank was released in UK at 2003. The album was quite a huge success (UK top chart 2004 and Platinum) and she was nominated for BRIT award for British Female Solo Artist. But, she mentioned that 80% of the album was "Not Her". hmmm.. Weird. 

After her disappointment, she stood up and hit the studio again. Back to Black was a true story behind her life. It tells us about Amy's drug addictions, her love life, and of course her dark life style. It sounded like glory days of Motown, R&B, and Soul in the 70s. Her unique voice that has a Jazzy accent, gives a powerful touch in every song she sings. The album contains 11 songs (10 tracks on US and Canada). 

"Try to make me go to rehab, I say 'no no no'!". You can feel the brawl in every note she sings. Rehab is the song. The funky feel and beat gives her an excuse to stay out from the house of torture. Amy wrote this song because of her Alcohol addiction and the record company wants her to go. But Hell no.. She won't go go go.

Next song is about her love life. "You Know that I'm No Good' was her 2nd single. In this song, she told us that she is a troublesome, she was trying to tell ther boy that she's no good. But God only knows. The infamous Arctic Monkeys covered this song in BBC Radio. 

Back to Black. This song was a huge success. This song was the 3rd single. On the pre-release, this song was already on the top of the UK singles Chart. One of the UK media said that, this song is a single of the year. No doubt about it, lads. This lady will tear you up if you say bad things on her! *damn right*

But on there is a unique story about this song. Everybody knows, Marvin Gaye right? His all time hit song-Ain't No Mountain High Enough was being covered by Amy Winehouse! NOT. Amy took the music sample of the song behind and mix it with her own song that she wrote. Tears Dry on Their Own is the song. Some US media criticize it unfairly and a bit too harsh. Although the outcome was not that nice at all, this song was a huge thing for her. This song climbed up to UK top chart right after the release. Both this song and "Rehab" sticked in the chart for 57 weeks. Crazy.

With all my respect, I like this woman. She's so unique and so....strange. She has a weird attitude though, but still, that's the way she interprets her music and her life. Which is so cool. I really do love this album because the uniqueness and the "True Story" thingy. My sister introduced me to this album back in Indonesia couple of years ago. Still remember my reaction when I saw her face for the first time. "Wtf?! SHE-MALE?!". Oh well, where ever she is now, I'm looking forward to see her weird hair with my own eyes :p

Well anyway. I'm not trying to seduce young generation to follow her life style. BUT what I'm trying to do is to make another music like this, which is so powerful and the richness of the uniqueness (wtf?!). Let's hope that in this free world we could find a better quality.

STAY OF THE DRUGS! I will see you again somewhere and somehow!

Abz.


1 opmerking: